Monday, April 20, 2015

To My Dear and Loving Husband -Poem #5

If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were loved by wife, then thee.
If ever wife was happy in a man,
Compare with me, ye women, if you can.
prize thy love more than whole mines of gold,
Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
Nor ought but love from thee give recompense.
Thy love is such I can no way repay;
The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.
Then while we live, in love let’s so persever,
That when we live no more, we may live ever.

When reading this I would say this is in Iambic Pentameter, which is cool that I could recognize that when we just learned it. Other then that, I enjoyed the poem because it shows the true meaning of what a happy marriage is. You can see that this woman values her husband and shows how much he means to her. I love the use of description and imagery she uses to describe her love for him. This poem reminds me of the meaning of "love is like the wind, you can't see it but you can feel it." And that is how it is in this poem, it's one of those poems that move you. I love the stanza, "Thy love is such I can no way repay; The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray." It is quite beautiful that she thinks of him so highly, that he is such a great piece of her.  And this is how marriage is supposed to be. Why would you want to be with someone that you hate or makes you unhappy. This poem isn't modernized but more romantic, which is why it makes it such a beautiful poem. You can tell throughout the poem that is it a couplet where every last word of each two lines rhyme, but does this make a difference in the poem? What if it didn't rhyme, would it be just as beautiful? Perhaps so. I could say that when describing love, whatever your feelings are, it could still sound as amazing because love is amazing. There is more then one type of love which this poem discusses like romantic love. It discusses for the love of a friendship like when she says "Then while we live, in love so persever, That when we live no more, we may live ever." A friend is always there for you, which is what a soul mate is... everything. A soul mate is a best friend, family, significant other, and all of the above because that's what happens when you connect with someone. The poem made what the true meaning of love was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment